Wednesday, March 20, 2013

Yamaha Grade 9 Piano exam

Caden has his Grade 9 piano exam today. Finally, after 4 years of Yamaha course, he gets to sit for the piano exam.
Caden was quite nervous before the exam as he told me that he had a stomach pain on our way to his centre. We had to report in the school half an hour before his slot at 2.18pm so I had planned the trip out early at noon to have our lunch there.
 
The nervous boy holding up his 2 books waiting for his turn.
 
 
I have asked them to play some toys to distract his attention while waiting
There were 2 senior piano teachers as the examiners. They looked friendly but Caden told me that he was nervous in the room. Was asked to play his favourite piece so he picked Woodpecker. The examiner picked 'Dance of the Clowns' for his second piece of song.
 
He told me that his sight playing wasn't done well. And the harmony piece, he forgot to play block notes at the end. Least I can see his relieved face after he came out from the examination room.
 
Right after the exam, I brought both of them to vivo to watch Oz, the great and powerful as part of the school holiday's treat. They enjoyed themselves..
 
I am glad that Caden made it through on piano this far, and without much help from parents, he was able to catch up with the class (who has musically trained parents to guide them throughout the 4-year journey). And hopefully, Caden will continue to have an interest in music (piano), after we switch him to learn one-on-one (private at home).
 
Hopefully, Ethan can make this far too..


No comments: