Tuesday, September 18, 2007

Caden's 1st and 2nd day in Childcare Centre


We have started Caden in a 5-hr playgroup class near our home since Monday this week and was pretty comfortable that he will adapt quick and well enough since we have been exposing him to weekend enrichment classes since he was 8 months old.

I have taken 2 days off to settle him in the BrightKids School House. On day 1, Caden's Grandma and cousin Kimi tagged along as Grandma wanted to have a look at the environment. Caden was all excited when he first stepped into the centre (with some children already singing along with the teacher). I realised much later that it was becos of Kimi's presence that Caden was able to settle so quickly. After Grandma and Kimi left, Caden was super sticky to me. Kept holding my hand wherever the activity happened. I accompanied him the whole 4-hr session till 12noon and brought him home. The teacher suggested that I need to break bond the next day by 10am in order for her to build up the rapport with Caden quickly.

Today (Day 2) was horrendous. I had to leave the centre for a while to park the stroller in the opp room for infants. Caden waas crying badly when the teacher carried him away as I leave. He was later settled down by the time I walked back into the centre (which was at most 4mins time taken). He wasn't paying any attention during story-telling, walking around and climbing up the kiddy tables and chairs despite me being around him in the morning. At 10am, when they moved on to play-time, I quietly sneaked out of the room once again, and Caden soon realised my absence, started to cry, asking for me.. In the end, he cried from 10 to 1120am, with intermittent stops, but I realised that his school uniform has been changed which means he has already cried till he vomitted.

I decided to bring him back home at 1130am becos he ended up sleeping in teacher's arms after constant crying and whining for me.. and when we are back home, he was back in his chirpy mood..

PaPa is going to have his heart-breaking time tomorrow when it is his turn to send him to the centre and checks on him from outside...

No comments: