Monday, October 10, 2011

Steep learning curve

One of the piano exam Grade 1 task is to read an unknown score on exam day and play the notes shown in the score. As I know Caden has been relying so heavily on the Do Re Mi abbreviations which I painstakingly penned down during his every lesson, I decided to start playing piano together with him from this term onwards by just reading the music notes off the book and play after deciphering the tune.

To be honest, I think age is gradually creeping up on me, besides struggling to carry out my role in my new work place through applications of numerous frameworks, policies and getting involved in giving formal trainings, I am finding it slightly more difficult than I thought it would be to practise piano with Caden. But I had to somehow find a way to teach him to read notes in a quicker way rather than counting from the first note 'Do' which is located right at the lowest line of the score. So now I tried to make him remember that the note that falls right into middle/third line denotes 'ti' and the note that falls on the top line indicates high 'fa', so he gets 3 different sets of base points to read the notes that fall in between these range.

I still have abt a year to get him used to reading the notes off the music book and play the song by looking at the score. Hopefully I can pick it up real fast on my end to find better methods for him to acquire this skill set.

I stand by my belief that I need to learn with my children to fully maximize what is being taught to them.. But it's going to be one tough journey to hang on..

No comments: