Tuesday, April 24, 2012

Pillow talk

I'm currently addicted to the local produced drama serial - pillow talk. What got me started watching was a newspaper article which covered an interview with the veteran actress whom I have watched her during my growing up years. The show presented a range of issues that married couples go through on a day to day basis which I find myself relating to them in one way or another - e.g, staying with in-laws, children's education, etc. They have thrown issues on importance of communication, prioritisation of family values. What I like most was a statement made by the unreasonable mum who is slowly entering into a self-actualisation stage and she quoted: it takes years for 2 persons to come together and form a family with children but it will only take a significantly shorter period to shrink the size of a family should one make a wrong move..

How true..

I am always appreciative that my dear ah Lou has been playing his role of a hubby and father well. Despite the nature of my job, there is no single complaint from him on my time spent in the family these years coupled with the fact that he's very hands on with the boys studies and welfare. I must admit that the challenges are plentiful staying with in-laws given that I'm a strict parent and we have many differences on how my boys are to be brought up. Although I try not to intervene with how my mil spoils my boys but at times I do try to put an affirmative stand on the behaviour that should be discouraged. It's not easy. I don't want to put ah Lou in a difficult spot too so I will only intervene in extreme cases. I can't tell for sure whether I will turn out to be a doting grandma in future although my expectations on my boys were set high, as commented by a few of my closer galfriends. Nonetheless, we reap what we sow in life. There are always challenges in all phases of our life. What matters most is who do we choose to move these challenges along with you and I'm fortunate to find a good partner since I knew him 11 years ago..

No comments: