Friday, February 17, 2017

The start of our P6 journey - February

My students often asked me how old my children were and when I replied one is in P6, another in P4 this year, most of them have the same reaction - "Ah! Are you nervous?"

Honestly, not too nervous at the start of this year but gradually the pressure seems to pile up on me over the past weeks. I heard of some friends working their child hard since the last quarter of P5, some going to the extend of doing tuition for all subjects in P6. I have just attended the parents engagement workshop organised by his school to understand more about the exam format changes this year as well. Caden is not at all in any condition gearing up to be hard-working since the first month of the year and is still concerned with getting his playtime all the time.

I gave up nagging and pushing him to do revision on his own in his spare time. Recently, I told him that the resources (past year's exam papers, assessment notes) were already made available to him so we will leave it to him to make use of them. I know that this arrangement will probably leave all the exam papers/assessment notes untouched eventually, but I am hoping that some time later part of this year, he will be more self-motivated to start planning for his revision.

Last week, he started to clock in late nights from doing his homework from school. I supposed the school is also starting to gear up on completing the syllabus earlier so they will have more time to work on revising past years' topics. I couldn't help much at this point but just to be physically awake while he's doing his homework at 10plus pm!


No comments: