Monday, December 31, 2007

Breastfeeding notes

Although we decided to "close production" after Ethan's birth, I thought documenting down this for further reference if my friends were to seek my advice (as I couldn't help much when my friends asked me abt the experience previously since I suffer from short-term memory all the time).

For breastfeeding to be successful, I have done the following:

1) Opting for total BF in hospital to stimulate production, if baby is not peeing often-he's not getting enough fluids from you, ask nurse to feed glucose through cup

2) milk will come in Day4 after brith, engorgement will be experienced, it is advisable to express out the milk to relieve and stimulate more production. Subsequently few days will also experience engorgement, so need to express out after every feed.

3) Latching- very impt know-how, so make sure you learn as much as possible from the nurses in the hospital, they are able to guide you the correct way. With correct latching, milk comes on faster and baby won't be frustrated with drinking.

4) Try to express approx 10mins after every feed, to stimulate more production

5) Drink lots and lots of water,and have plenty of rest = more milk. Fish soup helps too.

6) Try to direct feed in the first month in the middle of the night feeds, as baby is more alert this time and his suction is more powerful.

7) Don't be stressed over insufficient milk, its ok to supplement in the beginning if baby cries for milk, but I dilute the formula so that baby won't be hooked on that (formula milk is sweeter).

8) I take GNC's Fenugreek, it helps in better milk production, so if your supply is low, can try this, will continue to take this as long as I'm BF. I think it will be very helpful when I return to work soon. For nutrition, drink Anmum and Neurogain pills for good brain development for the child.

Enjoy the process, it is lots of hard work and perseverence but I am sure you will be happy that you have come through this far once you get the milk coming..

My storage of milk from these 2 months.. hopefully can last till Ethan is 6 months old on exclusive Breast milk..

No comments: