Sunday, August 23, 2009

Good Mummy, Bad Mummy

Lately I caught a taiwanese talk show which featured celebrities mummies and their discipline methods. One Mummy demonstrated the difference between speaking to a child (4-5yr old) in a nice manner and communicating the same message using different choice of words in a authorative manner.

It was apparent that the child was more receptive and behaved more obediently when the 'Good Mummy' role was being played. That child's expression totally changed and broke into tears when the 'Bad Mummy' was exercised. The bad mummy seems to speak in the same manner that my ah lou and even myself had done to Caden - e.g go and finish up all your lunch or else no tv. Eat in the kitchen before you can continue to play. When i say no more sweets, means no.

More often, this made Caden got frustrated as he couldn't get his way and broke into loud tears and whined when we do not give in to him. And as he cried louder, my ah lou and myself often run into less patience and takes the cane as the weapon.

I realised the difference in a child's behaviour if a Good Mummy has been played. For the past 2 days, before i raised my voice to scold Caden again, I would ask him, do you want a Mummy who scolds you and canes you or do you want a Mummy who loves you. Sometimes this works if Caden is not too agitated yet, sometimes it doesn't.

Again, I think it is really hard to be a good parent and instill good morals into them. The last few late nights in office didn't really helped me to have too high the patience when Caden fussed on Sat morning, so I had caned him for his misbehaviour.

I hope to learn to be a Good Mummy which is going to be a tough task.

No comments: