Sunday, August 21, 2011

Battling with HFMD

For the last few days, we were all battling with the HFMD virus that is hovering in my house. Sam came over last Monday as usual after school and did not have the appetite to finish his lunch and complained sore throat. My mil finished up his food eventually not knowing that Sam is already infected with HFMD virus.

So he became the first confirmed case of HFMD on Monday after his parents brought him to the PD on that night. We offered to keep Kimi at our place so that she can be quarantined from his brother during this period and Kimi had been staying with us from Tues onwards then.

On Wed night, I was suddenly infected with high fever and vomiting. The fever and vomit persisted and kept me out of work on Thurs and Friday. Kimi did not need to attend school on Thurs and Friday (due to PSLE oral) and had also stayed at home with me. My mil asked her to let me check on herself on Friday morning as she had started to complain about sore throat as well. Using a touch light, I found some ulcers forming at the back of her mouth and confirmed to my mil that she's also infected with HFMD. I was also unsure if I myself will be infected with HFMD (although I did not have any personal contact with Sam).

At the point, my heart sank.. I thought I had seen Ethan passing a sweet to Kimi during her stay her and both of them played pretty closely. To date, Ethan had not display any signs of appetite loss nor sore throat (or maybe he doesnt know yet) but we seem to see some funny shapes forming on his tougue.. hopefully it's false alarm but we can only confirm tomorrow and see if these funny stuff will start to form into ulcers. My previous personal encounter of HFMD was only hundreds of ulcers around my lips and back of my mouth but didnt have them on my tougue. So I cant really tell if those whitish stuff are part of the HFMD..

It's really a mental battle now - worrying and hoping that both my boys are going to be kept safe from the virus. We are also hoping that my mil will have strong resistance to defend herself from HFMD since she ate up all of Sam's food.

No comments: