Monday, February 22, 2016

Daily Journal


Ethan came back from school one day and updated me as follows:
 
E: ' Mummy, we got back our composition scores today. Highest score in class is 13/20. Rest are all below 10 marks. Lowest score is 3/20!.. Heehee...'
Me: ( frozen) ' So what's your score?'
E: "You guess?" 
Me: "Please don't tell me that you are that 3!"
E: "I'm 6! Hahaha.."
Me: "oh gosh.. why so bad???"
E: "my teacher said I wrote too short, no expressions, no relations made to another character,  and many more.. "

I know that E doesn't make much effort in terms of writing. It's surprising to know that he actually reads a lot of books but somehow, the strength of language has not been translated into his school work as yet.

I have started something last week, in getting both the boys to write a Daily Journal (aka diary) and write about whatever happens to them during the day. Each of them will earn themselves a dollar each, after 5 journals have been recorded. This seems to work out for them, as they seemed to have something in mind that they wanted to buy badly.

It's quite a good start, both of them have been writing diligently for the past few days, and Caden went a step further to have an additional component 'News report', which covers some news updates that he has watched on the News each night. Although it's just 2-pages of write-up each day, I guess this will help to cultivate them to write better and be more attentive to the writing styles as they read more.
 

No comments: