Saturday, February 09, 2008

This Lunar New Year

This Chinese new year, we have both Caden and Ethan doing the usual house visits at the elderly. Ethan just turn 3 and a half months and is still on his usual 18 hours sleeping routine. Caden has now become more sociable, and knows how to say "happy new year" in Teochew, our dialect. He is very happy upon receiving hongbaos and even helped his Lil Ethan accept on his behalf and placed it on his chest. Even when we returned home after the house visits, Caden will ask me for his hongbao, but definitely we don't pass them back for his safekeeping as we know he won't be able to remember where he placed them after a while.

Everyone is eager to carry Lil' Ethan but most of the time, he is either hungry for feed or sleep. So Caden then becomes the focus as he is now more vocal and curious with the surroundings.

One unfortunate incident over the 3 house visits we have made so far was that all the elderly have serious health problems this period. My Aunt is not able to walk as her spinal and nerve condition worsen, Ricky's Da Po has started with dialysis as his kidneys have failed, Da Mu also have problems with her hands and is getting weaker due to old age. Da Yi has also recently have problems with walking as well and may potentially need an operation if her physiotherpy is not effective..

Then leads me to think that if I were to age, I hope I won't be a burden to my children, it will be physically, emotionally and monetary draining to them.. and I will feel as frustrated as my ah Yi.. so possibly, it helps to have more than 1 child, but at this point, we'll still stick to 2, as we have problems juggling between work and family since Ethan is born...

No comments: