Friday, December 06, 2013

My new status

I have been playing the role of SAHM (stay-at-home-mum) for the last 5 days. Still cannot believe that I have actually taken the leap to do this. Somehow we have decided to take this route because of my FIL's current health condition, I guess this arrangement may last for about a year or so.

It's been tough for me to get adjusted to this new lifestyle. My last month in my workplace was still mentally challenging and demanding, spending long hours to get a few decks done for countless management reviews. These few days, my challenge at home was in fact to plan and whip up balanced and healthy meals for the family.

As a result, I turned to ogle at the household appliances, like magic cooker, air fryer, multi-purpose rice cooker and robotic vacuum cleaner.. these are the equipment that can help to streamline the tasks at home in a more efficient manner and in turn, I can spend more time to research on home tutoring and coaching the boys..

Since I had been working in an environment which practise prioritising spend, I have made up my mind to first spend my funds on the rice cooker and magic cooker by these 2 weeks so the essential cooking demands can be addressed. At this point, I just need to read up more on magic cooker and decide on which brand to buy.

Given my usual self to get as many things accomplished as possible, I have also learnt to slow down my pace at home on my 2 boys. Each day, their play time is 2 times longer than the piano practice and assigned homework.. and I guess this routine can continue for the month of December to let them recharge before they hit into the school days next month.

I have somewhat been influenced by Ah lou's belief of valuing frugality and simplicity after all these years. We decided to work on the household chores all by ourselves, and this saves us about $260 per month. I have also learnt to spread out the work in the following manner which can be done even when school re-opens:

1) Monday- sweep and mop
2) Tuesday - Dust tops and iron
3) Wednesday - rest
4) Thursday - Vacuum and Mop
5) Friday - Change bedsheets
6) Sat - Ah lou cleans toilets
7) Sun - rest

Besides the above, I have also progressively started clearing out the cupboards, wardrobes to do some spring cleaning. This week, I have done Ethan's and Caden's sections. I choose to think that this is a good form of exercise for me, and will help to get my heart condition back in the right shape again. And more importantly, I am keen to demonstrate to the boys that things in life should not be taken as granted and they should learn to be as independent as early as possible. Without any domestic help at home, the boys have been told to help out as much as possible to lighten my workload (very much depending on how much they 'teng' me!!)

And of course, the best part of my day is to get into the bathroom after cleaning up the kitchen from dinner cooking and soak myself in Crabtree's lily shower gel.. that's therapeutic..

Am looking forward to the staycation in hardrock hotel in 2 weeks time!



 

No comments: