Monday, December 09, 2013

The art of Fried Bee Hoon


I attempted to whip up Fried Bee Hoon last week when Kimi was around in my place for dinner and it turned out to be good, surprisingly. It is a known fact that Fried Bee Hoon, seems to look simple on its own but to get the right flavour and texture, requires some level of art.
 
I remembered how much I loved my mum's version of Fried Bee Hoon when I was young and reminisce the times I gobbled up 2 plates each time she cooked this.
 
My boys loved whatever I cooked for them so Kimi's feedback will be objective. Last week, she asked for second helping after finishing her first plate in no time and even wanted a 3rd helping but I told her to just have the eggs instead. It is assuring that she enjoyed the food so much as she is really a very small eater to begin with.
 
Today, I asked her what does she want for dinner and she order Fried Bee Hoon again. So I tried frying on my second attempt with the same method.
 
This is the kids version of Fried Bee Hoon - with their all-time favourite ingredients: Ham, fish cake, eggs, carrots, mushrooms and prawns (for adults).

 
 

And she asked for 2nd helping again - today I cooked lesser portions as I thought they are not too hungry..
 
Perhaps, I should explore to add more vegetables / meat to cultivate their taste-buds in the next attempt.
 
Notes:
This was cooked with prawn soup base, fish sauce, soy sauce and pinch of salt. Simple seasoning but tasted well. Best is to fry the bee hoon for about 5-7 minutes with the seasoning using the heat to soak up the soup base.

No comments: