Tuesday, November 25, 2014

Tingkat to the rescue!

I had a crazy period of running a few jobs at the same time in my house in the last 2 weeks for the reno. I won't be able to manage if I need to whip up 3 dishes and a soup for dinner each night so we decided to take a 10-day trial with Hong Choo catering services.

So I ordered 4 dishes for 2 pax and did my own soup as home-cooked soup has always been a comfort food for me (and ah lou)!

Day 1:
1) Braised chicken
2) Chai Po egg
3) Chinese cabbage witn carrots
4) Pork chop


Caden loved their pork chops and asked for a second serving. The rest were not bad, except for the chicken which was bland and too tough.

Day 2:
1) Xiao bai cai
2) Braised pork slices
3) Yong tou foo
4) Chilli fishcake

The chilli fishcake turned out to be the children's favourite. It was not too spicy so both of them ate about one each. Ah lou had to attend a wake on day 2 so these were too much for us (we had leftovers for the pork).

Day 3:
1) Fish dumpling soup
2) Gong bao Ji Ting (dried chilli chicken)
3) Cabbage with black fungus
4) half a fish fillet

I spent too much time cleaning up the house and didn't have a chance to take a picture. Ah lou couldn't come back for dinner because of the wake so there were leftovers for the chicken. 

Day 4:
1) Chilli fish
2) Bean sprouts with salted vegetables
3) sweet sauce sausages
4) fatty pork

As the renovation days went on, I didn't have the time to take pictures of the next few days to capture what were served. I recalled there was a day with curry vegetables and the boys ate their dinner so fast on that night as it opened up their appetite!
 
Given that its not too expensive and no MSG, and more importantly I wanted to relieve myself from mopping the kitchen floor each evening, we continued with Hong Choo catering service for another 20 days. But this time round, I did a 4-day delivery per week so we have the flexibility for me to either cook for the family or eat out on Fridays.
 
We probably may increase the portions to 3 pax serving when my mil is here with us once I start teaching.
 
Update:
 
10th July 2015
 
We stopped Hong Choo after a 20 day period with them as we didn't like their chicken dishes, given that the parts provided for each chicken dish were tough.
 
Subsequently I cooked for the family during my school term break for 2 months and I tried Kim's Kitchen tingkat since April. We ordered 3 dishes + 1 soup and their soup was good I must say. Hence, now we are alternating between tingkat and home-cooked food after every 20-day cycle and I am still sticking to Kim's Kitchen for the 3rd cycle in mid-July!
 
 20th Feb 2016
 
I guess we will stop getting Kim's Kitchen Tingkat even after my term break is over come April. Somehow, when we re-contracted with this caterer in end Dec for 20 days, the standard of food has dropped, and quality of the ingredients were not to our liking. I don't know if they have changed their chefs, or whether there was a change in their operations. Before I start work in April again, I will probably do a few trials with other food caterers first and provide my verdict!
 
 
 

No comments: